A Rich History of Golf at St. Johnsbury Country Club
Golf began in St. Johnsbury in 1923 when Willie Park, Jr., two-time winner of the British Open designed nine diverse, interesting and singular golf holes for the newly formed club. It would be the last of Park’s 60 North American designs due to his ailing health. The installation of the greens was completed by his brother Mungo. In 1992 famed architect Geoffrey Cornish, aided by lifelong member Jim Havers, cradled the original nine in the embrace of nine peripheral holes. While the older holes require finesse, the new nine demand power. Bring your best up-and-down skills to par the outward half, display placement and clear thinking on the way home.
Proud host of the:
- 1995 and 2006 VGA Men's State Amateur Championship
- 2003 VGA Men's Mid-Amateur Championship
- 2009 Vermont Open Championship
- 2011 Vermont PGA Pro-1Amateur Championship
- 1996 and 2011 VSWGA Women's Senior Amateur Championship
- 1997 and 2012 VSWGA Women's Amateur Championship
- 1998 and 2013 VSWGA Women's Mid-Amateur Championship
- 2014 Women's Tri-State Championship
Special Thanks to Member Ted Dinkel for the great pictures.
Clubhouse renovations started in October 2017 and are continuing...
It has been full steam ahead on the clubhouse renovation since the beginning of December. Work is currently being done to the following areas:
- The Banquet Room aka "The Porch"
- The Dining Room aka where the bar formally was.
- The New Bar Area aka "The Sunroom"
We started renovations on the men's and ladies locker rooms and lounge areas just before closing for the winter and preliminary feedback has been positive.
Here is a brief rundown of what is being done in the downstairs areas - Locker Rooms and Lounge:
- All new lighting has been installed.
- New ceramic tiles in downstairs hallway, lounge and mens locker rooms have been installed. Gone are the painted cement floors. Hooray!
- All of the walls in the men's & ladies locker rooms and lounge areas have been painted or will be painted.
- New Wainscoating has been installed on the bottom of the lounge area walls.
- New carpets in the Men's & Women's Locker Rooms will be installed. Once the weather warms up in the spring. The lockers from the third floor have been relocated to the Mens Locker Room and will be restained when temperatures permit.
We will start posting before and after pictures soon!